West Coast – Family Getaway:
Last year, my husband and I, decided to first spend time together alone with our 2 children, before we joined the rest of our family for the festive season. Coming from Johannesburg, we spend alot of time in our cars with traffic, and live in child friendly malls & coffee shops. We were looking for a place where we could enjoy the outdoors, relax, rejuvinate and spend quality time together. We longed for a place walking distance to the sea (like most of us coming from Johannesburg), as well as a place where you did not have to drive around looking for parking, etc. The last thing we wanted to do on our holiday was to be stuck in traffic or to wait & stand in cues for the shops, restaurants, etc.
After some extensive re-search, we found a beautifully, understated, coastal town called Yzerfontein, on the West Coast. It’s only an hour’s drive from Cape Town and it is a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the more popular beaches in the Cape area.
You can find holiday homes very close to or right on the beach, they have a private beach & a main beach, so you can decide which you prefer. The house we rented had a garden with a big enough stretch of grass for the kids to play on & it had a jacuzzi to warm you up after a cold refreshing swim in the sea. Most holiday homes in the area have a inside braai area to cater for the extra windy days. Yzerfontein is also one of the few places where you would not have to rent a home with aircon over our very hot December holiday period, as there is a constant seabreeze which cools down the town. You will find everything you need for your holiday in Yzerfontein and there is no need to stock up prior to going there. Yzerfontein also has a holiday programme offered & hosted by “I love Yzer”tourism company and they arrange lovely farmer’s markets with live entertainment and delicious eats.
We had a great family vacation ! The West Coast is pure bliss even in peak season and we will defineataly be going back for a annual “Breath of fresh air”.
The house we stayed at was no 17 in 16 Mile beach estate:
- located on the private 16 mile beach (one sand dune away from the local main swimming beach area)
- beautiful piece of lawn for kids to play on
- shielded jacuzzi, can enjoy some time in the water, even if the wind is howling outside, protected from direct sun and wind
- house has everything you could possible need for entertainment: potjie pot, outside chairs & tables, inside braai area for windy/rainy days, mini hi-fi (sound system) inside braai area, dstv full bouquet, downstairs guest loo, large dining room table & area, wine openers, braai tools
- house has everything you need for little children: bunk beads upstairs with own bathroom with both bath & shower inside, lawn outside, plastic plates/bowls in both pink & blue for boys & girls in the kitchen cupboards
- house is equipped with more than enough 2x point plug points, you can find 2x piont plug units in every single room of the house which is great especially when travelling with your smart phones/ipads/hairdryers, anything that needs ongoing charging
- house also fully equipped with candles & matches for possible load shedding times
Local entertainment & activities:
- The famous Strand kombuis restaurant with the best, freshest seafood you will ever find, with very good traditional quality koffie-kan locallly brewed coffee, freshly made bread,
- tennis courts
- There is also a swimming pool at the caravan park which holiday makers can use
- farmer’s market/christmas market with fresh local delicatessons, wine tasting, variety of fun activities for the kids, big & small
- local talent show/valient swart/arno carstens, etc have performed at Yzerfontein in the past